These organizations in Nova Scotia offer classes:
- Atlantic Fabrics (Dartmouth, Greenwood, New Glasgow)
- Nova Scotia College of Arts & Design, NSCAD (Halifax)
- Sew with Vision (480 Parkland Dr., Halifax)
- Patch Halifax
- Kelly’s Creative Sewing (Dartmouth)
- Sew Simple Halifax
- Other classes posted on ASG site
If you were willing to travel for some classes, treating it as either a serious trip or vacation, you might want to consider these options:
- Kathryn Brenne Academy of Fine Sewing and Design (North Bay, ON)
- Susan Khalje (Baltimore, Maryland)
- Creativ Festival (Toronto, ON)
General Instructions Online
These sites offer classes and/or general instructions online:
- American Sewing Guild
- Craftsy Sewing Classes
- Pattern Review Classes
- Sandra Betzina Power Sewing Classes
- Marcy Tilton Tutorials
- Linda Lee’s Sewing Workshop Tutorials
- Silhouette Patterns Videos
- Creativ Festival YouTube Channel
- Project Runway
- Threads Magazine
- Daily Craft TV
Blogs tend to be more personally produced instruction, compared to business or professional like instruction, although some blogs are quite phenomenal. They also tend to be more a mish mash of topics and may not be as well organized to find specific items like sewing instruction videos. But those things can add a personal touch and connection business sites tend not to have, and be more entertaining with a real life touch to them. It really depends on what you like. Here are some Guild Members like a lot:
- Communing with Fabric
- A Fool for Fabric
- Core Couture
- Curvy Sewing Collective
- Jilly Be Joyful
- Now Sewing
- La Sewista!
- Artistic Alchemy
When you read blogs, be sure to look around, often on the side, for links to the authors’ favourite sites, blogs and such. Some will likely be related to sewing and they can serve as your lead to find out more of what is out there! If you liked the authors’ blog, chances are, you’ll like his/her taste for other enjoyable and/or useful blogs, too!
Specific Instructions Online
These sites offer instructions for specific tasks our members have requested to be listed, under various topics.
Dyeing and Painting Fabrics
- Fabric dyeing techniques
- Fabric paint tips
- How to dye
- Turn acrylics to fabric paints
- What dye goes where
Share Your Favourite Sewing Resources with Us!
If you know of great class and/or instructional resources not mentioned here, please do let us know. We will update this post, as well as our Classes page on this site. Thank you.
Disclaimer: Above information is provided as a courtesy to readers and not as an endorsement by The Atlantic Sewing Guild.