We have the following 3 classes confirmed.
- Our first day-time class on a week-day is Jeans in a Day with Tory LeBlanc. (Thursday, January 26)
- Serger Basics with Pat Nicholson. (Saturday, February 11)
- (this class is now confirmed) Serger Beyond the Basics with Pat Nicholson (Saturday, March 11)
INFO FOR JEANS CLASS Jan. 26
Want to sew a great pair of jeans but are leery of the time commitment? Or fitting challenges?
Using Jalie Patterns’ Eleanore pants pattern (click for link), you can make a wonderful pair of stretch denim jeans in a day! Designed with a traditional back yoke, butt pockets and double top stitching, this slim legged pant has traditional jean styling. However, the mock fly front, faux front pockets, and elastic waist make these pull-on jeans an easy sew.
Once you have perfected the fit, you can easily “hack” the pattern to make them in the traditional way with a zipper fly, functioning front pockets and a button waistband with belt loops when you have extra time to sew these details. (Handout/links provided as part of the class.)
This class is primarily a sewing class, rather than a fitting class. Minor fitting tweaks that can be addressed during the cutting/sewing process are part of the sewing process and are expected. For major adjustments, expect to use class time to make muslins (1 or more), working towards developing a custom pull-on jean pattern.
Jalie patterns can be purchased at the Halifax Fabricville or online at Jalie.com (available as an instant electronic download or as a standard paper pattern that will be shipped). The pattern calls for 60″ stretch denim, with at least 20% stretch and has good recovery. Fabricville has some lovely stretch denim at the Halifax store, but please note it is only 45″ wide. You must buy extra! You can make this pattern with any stretch woven fabric, provided it meets the stretch/recovery requirements.
Please contact Tory if you have any questions or concerns.
INFO FOR SERGER BASICS Feb. 11
In this class we will learn how to thread your serger for 4 thread overlock, also 3 thread wide and narrow overlock. We will go over the different parts of your serger and what they do and when to use them. Please bring your serger and different colors of thread ( colors corresponding to the colors of your tension discs would be helpful) also bring some scraps of different fabrics you might use . Bring your serger manual and any accessories that came with your machine.
INFO FOR SERGER BEYOND THE BASICS (tentatively March 11)
In this class we will learn about the other stitches on your serger. We can start with rolled hem and flatlock, then depending on people’s machines cover hem, chain stitch, 4 and/or 5 thread safety stitch. We can also talk about specialty feet any specialty feet you’re interested in, if time permits.
Classes, Registration and Payment
- Classes are full day (9:30 AM set-up for 10:00 to 4:00 PM) unless otherwise stated.
- Full day class is $35 for Guild members and $40 for non-Guild members.
- Registration for all classes will be on a first come, first served basis.
- Registration will be first done at Guild Meetings, then via email to the Guild afterward.
- Post dated cheques will not be accepted for registration of a class.
- If the classes fill up, you can put your name on a waiting list.
- All classes have to be paid up before the class date or you will lose your spot
- Classes held at Halifax Christian Church at 51 Farnham Gate Road, Halifax